When you think about it, your garage door is the biggest moving device in your entire home. It is the main point of entry, especially if you have an automobile. You may use the garage door every day, multiple times a day, and it’s important to maintain it safely and successfully.
However, you must be warned not to allow just any stranger to offer you ways to repair your door. While the offer may sound tempting (especially if you have a door that is need of repair), it is not a great decision to agree to a repair by a stranger. This could result in a garage door repair scam.
Consult with your friends and neighbors before choosing to have your garage door repaired. Ask them if they’ve ever seen a garage door specialist. Did they find it worth their while? Would they recommend this method over a stranger repairing your door?
We want you to have the best guidance in avoiding repair scams. If they tell you they are the “best garage door repairman in town,” you still should not choose them without some kind of recommendation.
Do a Quick Google Search
Look on the Internet for answers to any questions you may have regarding garage door scammers. See if reviewers have anything good to say about the proposed company that the person is from. Here are the most important things to look for:
- Physical Address Does the website of the proposed company have an actual address? Can you find it on Google Maps? Is the phone number listed, and is it legitimate? Are there any photos of the building or the company owners? Are the pictures stolen from another site, or are they legitimate?
- Business Associations Is the company associated with a good-standing organization? Is it a member of a garage door installer association? Is it accredited?
- Customer Reviews Have customers left any reviews for this company? Check for a Yelp page, a Google+ page, or testimonials on the website itself. Are the reviews good? What is their rating on a scale of one to five stars? Do the reviews seem honest, or are they forged?
- Facebook Page Does the company have a Facebook or social media page? Is it mentioned on other websites? Is it on a classified-free site? You can easily tell at this point whether or not the company is reputable.
Give Them a Quick Call
Most legitimate garage door repair companies can be reached during regular business hours. Typically, you will be able to get ahold of someone by phone between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm. Find the company’s number and give them a ring. If they answer, ask them these questions, as well as any others that you weren’t able to get from the website:
- What is your street address?
- Do you have liability insurance coverage?
- Do you have all operating licenses?
- Do your service vehicles have proper identification of the company’s name? Or, do you send a subcontractor?
- Are your employees covered by accident insurance?
There are a few other red flags to watch out for as well. If the proposed repairman gives you one big overall price to repair your door, and they haven’t even seen your door yet, it is likely a scam. A legitimate garage door repair specialist will provide you with a typical hourly rate, the rate of labor, and mileage options. They will also be able to determine if you have a broken spring, and if you need a technician to come and take a look at your garage door’s specifications right away.
Finally, the professional will assess the situation to see if any other repairs need to be made as well. They will examine all working parts, and you will be able to tell that they know what they’re doing.
Once the Repairman Arrives
When the professional garage door repairman visits you in person, be sure to ask for a written estimate. That way, you will know your costs up front, and they will be explained to you in a professional manner. If you are asked to pay in advance or in cash only, BEWARE! This is a scam company.
A legitimate company will be sure to give you any parts that were changed. Your invoice will properly explain all fees as well. You should be given some warranty options as well.
Do You Need a New Garage Door?
If you are in need of repair from a reputable workplace, or you are in need of a new garage door altogether, please contact us as soon as you can at 905-569-9133. Our consultants are available every day to speak with you about your garage needs. A professional will work with you one-on-one to establish the needs of your door and will make suggestions based on your budget and style choice. We can help you determine the architectural style of your home to figure out what will work best.
Once you’ve made your decision, we can send you an online quotation by email. All quotes are free, and you can, of course, receive a written quote in person as well. If you want to design your own garage door using a virtual picture of your home, we recommend that you try out our dynamic design center. We are here to help you find the right style that fits your needs!